Wednesday 26 February 2014

Three habits I wish to pass on to my daughter... to make her richer...


Maybe not richer as a person (who knows) but when she follows them (and that's you honey if you are reading this some years after I first posted this) then she will statistically make more money because of them.

They come from a great blog from...Janrey Cantos the extended version is here. One of the main differences between wealthy people and poor people are their habits.

Our habits will determine our results in life so it is very important for us to study the habits of highly successful people.

Based on a study by Thomas C. Corley involving 233 wealthy and 128 poor people, we can learn interesting habit differences between them.

Wealthy – defined as those earning at least Php 7.2 million per year ($160,000).
Poor – defined as those earning at least Php 1.35 million per year ($30,000).

(Remember these figures are from Feb 2014. In case you are reading this in 2024 and inflations gone crazy)

Habit #1. Maintain a to-do list. 


  • 81% of the wealthy do this 
  • Only 9% of the poor do this 
These figures tell us a lot. Not all but most of the wealthy people maintain a to-do list. They know how to prioritize and they focus their attention and energy to accomplish what is on their list.(Mia you have probably already seen Daddy's to do lists for a few years now...)

Habit #2. Read 30+ minutes each day. 

  • 88% of the wealthy do this 
  • Only 2% of the poor do this 
As Daddy always said (well I will do from 2014) “Leaders are readers.” As a leader we must be a learner by reading a lot. I spend at least 30 minutes a day learning more and more about digital marketing.

Habit #3. Listen to audio books during commute. 

  • 63 % of the wealthy do this. 
  • Only 5% of the poor do this. 
Mia - so if you are not into reading physical books (or if it is all holograms by 2024) then listening to old fashioned audio books is a better option for you. You can search some amazing podcasts on iTunes and listen to it for free.

The Digital Marketing Podcast By Daniel Rowles & Ciaran Rogers is pretty up there in my mind - and hopefully I will get to appear on it talking about how at JusTaxi - Manchester's taxi fare comparison app - we did what we did with geo locational marketing and social media advertising.

What Janrey - the writer of this original blog - likes to do is "download podcast episodes into my tablet for me to be able to listen anywhere and any time I want even when I have no mobile connection. "

A really good tip Janrey and one I am using from today. In fact as I type this :) 

Mia - my last thought is: 

That hopefully with me and your mum by your side - you will become healthy, wealthy and happy. But if I am not there with you - I want you to remember - that if you want to become one of the wealthy (and that IS an IF), then read the above and develop some of the habits that will eventually lead you to riches. 

No comments:

Post a Comment